Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In the Criminal Justice System, the people are protected...

If I was convicted tomorrow of some heinous crime that I had never committed and sentenced to life in prison with solitary confinement I think I could make it if I was allowed to watch Law and Order every day, all day. If I could swing it, I would try to get the judge to throw in Law and Order: Special Victims Units and Trial by Jury too, but if the judge didn’t go for it, I could settle for just the original and get used to solitary confinement.

I’ve been watching Law and Order since I was a kid. Starting in preschool up through high school graduation, family rules banned television and video games during the school week, and playing street hockey with friends was allowed only after all our homework was completed. However, about the time I entered junior high I discovered a small loophole in the system. When I got home from school every day my mom was watching Law and Order on TNT. I discovered that if I sat and talked to my mom I could delay doing my homework and just watch the show while reviewing the day with my mom.

What initially started as a convenient method of procrastination soon became a strict daily ritual. Do I realize that most of the commercials they show on TNT in the middle of the day advertise birth control, unemployment benefits, disability insurance, and retirement plans? Absolutely, I know that my fellow Law and Order fans are mostly the moms, the unemployed, the disabled, and the elderly citizens of America; nevertheless, I proudly take my place on the couch of unproductiveness and with them I faithfully watch.

Now, some ten years later, I still watch almost every day—I watched three episodes yesterday—and still enjoy solving the case with Detectives Lenny Briscoe and Ed Greene. Is it obsessive that I own the first 19 seasons on bootleg DVDs from China? I submit that it is not, it is merely a display of loyalty to the detectives and district attorneys of Law and Order.

R.I.P. Jerry Orbach.

No comments:

Post a Comment