Monday, November 23, 2009

Ode to Gen-X: The Thug's Walmart

A few weeks ago, while eating at Sonic with friends, I witnessed one of Provo's wonders: The Gen-X Latin Rice Rocket Car Rally. You’ve probably seen it before, the huge group of Latin teens that gather outside Gen-X on Fridays to show off their early- to mid-90s Hondas, Mazdas, and Nissans equipped with mufflers, spoilers, and speaker systems. As I listened to the whiney hum of each car's four-cylinder engine, I pondered the crucial role Gen-X plays in blessing the lives of so many…

First off, for those few who are unfamiliar with the majesty of Gen-X, Gen-X first opened in Salt Lake City in 1998 as an inexpensive, low-quality clothing and accessory store for the "new generation". Presently, Gen-X has over 40 stores, each offering those teenagers and college students seeking to express that inner thug without breaking the bank the medium by which they can.

Gen-X is special. I'm not sure if it's the tacky neon sign out front, the sweet melodies of Mexican Reggeton that rush into my ears every time I open the door, or the beauty of knowing that with twenty dollars I can find the perfect tall tee and accessories to fit any occasion, but a visit to Gen-X always leads to lasting memories.

For those of us (like me) who were born in white suburbia but grew up listening to Coolio, Black Street, and Tupac, Gen-X provides a path for each of us to become the thug we have long idolized. Where else can you find blinging watches for under $10, flat-billed caps starting at $6.99, and tall tees that perpetually sell at 50% off?

Perhaps those jeans you bought for $11 stain your shoes blue, and sure, that watch turns your wrist green after 20 minutes; nevertheless, when you put on that tall tee, and tip that NY Yankee cap just a touch, you can confidently look in the mirror as you head out to that casual stake dance and say to yourself, "Oh dang, I be thuggin; indeed, straight thuggin."

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to decide if I have seen a Gen-X before or if your fantastic descriptive writing has just helped me fabricate a memory. Is there a Gen-X next to Macy's in Provo?

    ReplyDelete